The WELL Building Standard® Certification is a system based on measuring, monitoring and certifying the performance of the built environment that impacts on human health and well-being through seven fundamental concepts: water, air, nourishment, lighting, fitness, comfort and mind; As well as 3 characteristics: behavior, operation and design. This system is created after seven years of deep medical research into the connection between buildings and the impact on the health, well-being and productivity of their occupants.
The main objective of this certification is to create a positive experience in the human being, reflected in an increase in their capacities for contemplation, concentration and productivity, reinforcing the social sense of individuals and motivating their sense of belonging to the environment. The WELL Certification helps the built environment, improve nutrition, physical well-being, behavior, sleep patterns and productive performance of occupants.
WELL v1, WELL v2 y WELL Core
Various versions of the WELL Certification are currently available: version 1 (WELL v1), version 2 (WELL v2) and WELL Core (variant of WELL v2). Although these versions seek the same objective, each of them implies a particular style and workflow for each team.
The WELL methodology consists in the fulfillment of preconditions (mandatory) and optimizations (at the choice of the work team), distributed within the categories called Concepts.
• WELL v1 It is the first available version of the WELL Certification. It consists of 7 different concepts: Air, Water, Nutrition, Illumination, Physical Well-being, Comfort, Mind.
• WELL v2 It is the most up-to-date version of this certification, with a methodology that integrates more universal preconditions with more flexible optimizations for all projects. It consists of 10 different concepts: Air, Water, Nutrition, Lighting, Movement, Thermal comfort, Sound, Materials, Mind, Community and Innovations.
• WELL Core It is a special adaptation of WELL v2. It is ideal for projects that seek to implement healthy features in the base building for the benefit of tenants. This WELL modality is available in buildings where at least 75% of the area is occupied by one or more tenants or serves as a common space for all tenants.
How to achieve WELL Certification
Certification levels WELL v1
Compliance with 100% of the preconditions of its typology + minimum 40% of the applicable optimizations.
Compliance with100% of the preconditions of its typology + minimum 80% of the applicable optimizations.
Certification levels WELL v2
(WELL Core Bronze)
Minimum compliance 40 points. Exclusive level for low projects WELL Core.
Minimum compliance 50 punts.
Minimum compliance 60 points.
Minimum compliance 80 points.
What is the benefit of the WELL certification
Some of the benefits that buildings with this certification enjoy are:
• An improved environment for employees, customers and visitors.
• Increase in productivity and employee satisfaction; and consequently, its retention within the company.
• Avant-garde corporate image with a notorious attraction or retention of both clients and collaborators that inspire their own happiness, identity and culture.
• Company leadership through quality assurance.
• Differentiation from competitors.
• Invaluable marketing added value.
• Attractive return on investment.
Many elements required by WELL are not more expensive, but are simply more conscious and elaborate selections.
According to a pilot test of the WELL Building Certification in Los Angeles, California, high standards were reached regarding the experience of the occupants. With just a cost overrun of + 1.7% versus the original budget, an environment was achieved where 83% of the occupants felt more productive and 90% of them said that this new space has created a positive effect on their health, work performance and promoted interaction between employees.
Cundall (an engineering consulting firm) designed its London office in 2016 to be the first building in Europe with WELL Gold Certification . The company attributes about $ 80,000 of the total costs in WELL adjustments. However, it reports a 50% reduction in absenteeism and one 27% decrease in staff turnover , which more than offset WELL costs in just one year. Source .
A building with WELL Certification tends to develop an increase in the happiness and well-being of the employees, experiencing a sense of satisfaction and commitment in them and with it 25% to 65% lower staff turnover . Retention of personnel is extremely valuable for companies due to the high costs of leaving employees for the company. Source .
WELL Certification in Mexico
The ≪Office Bioconstructiontrong project, these being the central offices of Bioconstruction and Alternative Energy, located in the Monterrey metropolitan area, became the first project to obtain this avant-garde recognition in Mexico. Bioconstruction Offices becomes a pioneering case study in the country, which has been disseminated internationally.
In August 2019, the International WELL Building Institute directory shows in its directory 21 WELL projects, of which only 2 are certified. Around the world, there are more than 3,300 registered projects and more than 210 certificates.
Download your WELL Certification brochure for FREE!
Learn how WELL Certification promotes health and well-being in building occupants