With 30 years in the market and presence in more than 70 countries, EarthCheck is the world leader in sustainable consulting and certification for the tourism and hospitality industry.
EarthCheck collaborates positively with the private sector and the public sector, including: local governments and federal ministries.
EarthCheck is the owner of Standards, Management Systems and Certification Programs. Based on the objectives of Agenda 21, EarthCheck certifications apply the principles of sustainability in planning, building and operation in the tourism and hospitality industry.
¿WHAT ARE EARTHCHECK CERTIFICATIONS?
EarthCheck certification programs have been created to support investors, owners and managers throughout all stages of a construction, from the planning and design stages of buildings and infrastructure and their subsequent operation.
EarthCheck certifications focus on social responsibility initiatives, enhancements in, corporate practices and optimization of environmental performance.
¿WHAT CAN BE CERTIFIED BY EARTHCHECK?
EarthCheck Certifications are available for more than 30 tourism sectors, including hotels, airports, convention centers, airlines, theme parks, golf fields and destinations.
Sustainable Design: The Sustainable Planning and Design Standard allows projects to be certified in development stage and ensure future performance above the level of best practices level.
Sustainable Operations: The Company Standard provides a management system and supporting tools that allow any company or organization to improve its environmental, social and economic performance.
¿WHAT DOES EARTHCHECK EVALUATE UNDER THEIR COMPANY STANDARD?
This certification rewards various aspects of sustainability based on Key Performance Areas (KPA) including:
- Greenhouse emissions of gases.
- Energy efficiency, conservation and management.
- Management of drinking water and rainwater resources.
- Preservation and management of ecosystems.
- Social and cultural affairs.
- Air quality and noise control.
- Wastewater management.
- Solid waste management.
- Storage of substances harmful to the environment.
In addition, it is based on an integration approach with the community, in social, environmental and economic terms, to favor enhance the sustainable development of the project and the community at the same time.
NIVELES DE CERTIFICACIÓN EARTHCHECK
The company must complete an online registration, develop cultural, social and economic policies with a sustainable approach as a online software with at least 3 months of operational data. This data will serve to create a benchmark of the company that allows to make comparisons of performance at local level and specific to its sector. Upon completion of this process, the company receives the EarthCheck status Bronze level. The Bronze Status is a prerequisite to be able to aspire to the following certifications.
After achieving the Bronze Status, the company can choose the next level: Silver Certification. This is achieved through an audit by an auditor authorized EarthCheck’s, who visits the facilities of the company or organization in process of EarthCheck certification, reviews the documentation, makes a tour of the facilities and interviews the personnel involved. If everything matches with the documentation, Silver Certification is obtained. Said process must be repeated yearly or biannually to renew its certification.
The next level of certification is Gold. This level is achieved by having demonstrated for 5 consecutive years the company’s sustainable commitment in accordance with the Company Standard. Like the Silver level, this level must be renewed every year to be able to maintain itself.
The Platinum level is obtained under the same structure as the Gold level. However, the requirement term within the certification increases to 10 years.
Finally, the highest level of certification within this scale is Master. This degree is achieved when the company has demonstrated a commitment of sustainability for 15 years.
¿WHICH ARE THE BENEFITS OF EARTHCHECK COMPANY CERTIFICATION?
There are multiple benefits to a company that enrolls in the EarthCheck program:
- Access to methodologies, support tools and software.
- Reduction of operating costs.
- Understanding and identifying opportunity area and business risks.
- Generation of financial, environmental and social results.
- Leadership in environmental, social and economic sustainability within the sector.
- It fosters confidence in the market by providing genuine and audited statements by an external and independent auditor.
- Sense of belonging among employees
- Provides a framework for building sustainable destinations
- Its evaluation methodology is aligned with ISO14001, ISO26000, ISO50001, ISO9001 and GRI (Global Reporting Initiative).
- The EarthCheck Company and Destination Standard is approved by the Global Tourism Board and its carbon accounting methodology has been approved by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Ability to use verified and validated data for normative or voluntary reports
¿WHAT DOES EARTHCHECK EVALUATE UNDER ITS PLANNING AND DESIGN STANDARDS?
EarthCheck Design Standards provide an integral framework of sustainability to guide development and renewal projects towards sustainability. EarthCheck owns the world’s largest database of tourism infrastructure performance. Using the Design Standards, the project can ensure a performance equivalent or superior to the best environmental, social and economic practices.
EarthCheck Design standards provide guidelines, baselines, calculators, and benchmarking performance data to guide the project team in the planning and design phases.
The key performance areas of the Planning and Design Certification are aligned with those awarded in the Company Standard to ensure a comprehensive and systematic sustainability process throughout the life of the project and future company or organization. This certification rewards various aspects of sustainability based on Key Performance Areas (KPA) including:
KEY AREAS OF PERFORMANCE:
- Sustainability approach
- Water Management
- Management of land use and biodiversity conservation
- Management of solid waste
- Conservation of Sustainable Materials and Materials
- Air Quality Management, Noise Control and Lighting
- Social, cultural and economic well-being
¿WHICH ARE THE BENEFITS OF EARTHCHECK DESIGN CERTIFICATION?
There are multiple benefits to a development project seeking EarthCheck program.
- A demonstrated return on investment
- Leadership and innovation in design recognized worldwide.
- Designed specifically for the travel and tourism industry.
- Focused on science and focused on delivering results.
- Best social license to operate.
¿ARE THERE EARTHCHECK CERTIFIED PROJECTS IN MEXICO?
Yes, our country currently has more than 40 companies certified under this system as part of a tourism expansion plan. Mexico is a leader in EarthCheck certifications in the “Destinations” typology with the only three certified destinations in America that have achieved the EarthCheck certification: Huatulco (in the state of Oaxaca), with platinum status; Ixtapa (in Guerrero) and Loreto (in Baja California Sur) with the silver level.
Back To SOLUTIONS